Access and Customize Your DashboardClick Reports….Utilization Dashboard to access the Dashboard. Customize your Dashboard by using the filters on the gray sidebar. You’ve got many filters to choose from, and you can use them in any combination. Let’s explore your options, starting at the top with “Date Range.” changing the name of a cost center (My Company…My Company…Lexicon). To add one or more field to each filter, click on the white triangle under the desired header and check the box(es) next to the field(s) you want to add. Notice the three boxes at the bottom of the sidebar. Here’s what you need to know:
- Show Non-Billable Projects means you want to see projects used to track non-billable hours, like vacation time.
- Select Projects and Select Staffers allow you to select the specific projects and staffers, respectively, including inactive ones. Check the box next to one or both options and a picklist will populate, so you can make your selection(s).
Use Your Utilization DashboardThe Dashboard gives you more detail than you can imagine! We’ll walk through a simple example to highlight some of the details you can glean. Notice we’ve set the date range filter (on the gray sidebar) from April 1 to May 1, so our Dashboard will populate with details during that time period. We’re viewing the Dashboard from the “Staff Role” view. (See the top-right button. We’ll explain how to change the view later in the article.) Staffers who’ve logged time during the selected date range are hyperlinked, as you can see in the image above. When we click on Ben’s hyperlinked name, we can see all of the projects he’s logged hours to (they’re listed below his name), along with many more details that we’ll explain next. Here are some key points to keep in mind, moving left to right across the tabs in the image above:
- Capacity: Ben’s work capacity is 352 hours. So there were 352 hours available for him to work during our selected date range. This number is based on the capacity you set for the staffer on their Staffer Dashboard.
- Allocated/Budgeted: We allocated 312 hours to Ben over six projects. BigTime automatically calculates his utilization rate (312 / 352), which is 89%. Notice that BigTime calculates the utilization for each project, too. Get a detailed view of allocated hours by clicking on a hyperlinked number under the “Hours” column. A new window will open to the resource allocation editor if you need to make changes.
- Input Hours: The number of hours Ben has logged during the selected date range is reflected in the 209 number. See a breakdown of Ben’s inputted hours and his input utilization rate for each project under the “Hours” and “UTIL” columns, respectively.
- Billable Hours: The number of billable hours Ben has logged is reflected in the number 209. See a breakdown of Ben’s billable hours and his billable utilization rate for each project under the “Hours” and “UTIL” columns, respectively. The bottom of the Utilization Dashboard reveals the grand totals for each of the columns explained above.
- None: You don’t want to organize your Dashboard in a specific way. Instead, your staffers will be listed in alphabetical order.
- Department: The department, such as engineering, a staffer is assigned to.
- Staff Role: The role (function) of your staffer, like a designer.
- Service Offering: A broad categorization of your staffers, like engineering or sales.
- N/A: Some firms use the N/A field for their different company locations, like Boston and New York.